Friday, April 27, 2012

I spent most of today in a teacher-training session, being trained by an old, jowly fellow who takes the fixed and vocal stance that we should go back to explicitly teaching grammar in the classroom. Like, subordinating conjunctions and dangling participles and all. The general horror at the very idea was nearly palpable.
The crazy thing is, he totally convinced me. In two hours he presented English grammar in its entirety as an elegantly patterned and systematic whole that allows us to make sense of how our minds perceive the universe (Seriously. I was not on drugs. That is what he said, and it seemed perfectly logical at the time.). My less-word-nerdy colleagues were less entertained by the presentation, but fairly entertained by how excited I got about it...glad I could help.
I am ready to sashay myself back into the classroom and heroically mend some split infinitives.

No comments:

Post a Comment